2018 Pie Baking Contest Rules
ALL entries must be made at the Pie Festival.
We will be offering a “Pie Photo Op” after the judging, and there will be judging viewing allowed this year.
- Pie must be entered in name of the person who made it.
- Categories are:
- Youth (Baker must be 17 years of age or under)
- Prizes: Grand Prize is $100 plus Grand Prize Ribbon (and Bragging Rights).
Prizes for each category are:
- First Place is $25 plus First Place Ribbon
- Second Place is Second Place Ribbon
- Third Place is Third Place Ribbon
- To Enter:
Bring your pie to the contest site, at Pie Town Fire Station, NO EARLIER than 9 AM and NO LATER than 10:30 AM on Pie Festival Day, September 8, 2018.
Please park first and then come over to enter your pie. The Pi-K run is being held in the morning and safety for the runners must be observed. Please be aware some roads will be used for the Pi-K run and plan accordingly. Please obey all instructions from the Pie Festival staff.
IMPORTANT: We cannot accept ANY pie that has in the FILLING any dairy (butter, cream, milk, milk substitutes, eggs or meat). These pies would require refrigeration to observe Heath Code Laws. This means no sweet potato, pumpkin, soy, coconut milk, meringue, or almond milk or chili peppers. Please note that dairy (eggs, butter, etc.) is allowed in the crust by the Health Code Laws due to how the dairy changes when baked into the crust.
The Pie Baking Contest Coordinator has the final say on the acceptability of any pie.
ALL entries must fill out a registration form on site.
By entering your pie, you acknowledging the entered pies become the property of the Pie Festival and that you WILL NOT get your pie or pie pan back. NOTE: There will be opportunity to buy back non-winning pies. All award-winning pies will be auctioned later in the day. Please remember this is a non-profit fund raiser and we ask you to be generous to help us raise funds in 2018 for new playground equipment for Jackson Park. You can also come to the fire station later in the day to see if your pie pan can be reclaimed, but we cannot guarantee this.
All pie bakers entering agree to give permission to have your photo and your pie’s photo taken during announcement ceremony.
NOTE: A copy of your pie recipe would be appreciated and may be used in future editions of the Pie Town Pie Cookbook.
All entrants receive a “PIE BAKER” ribbon to wear proudly during Pie Festival.
- Judges must be at least 18 years of age or older.
- Judging will start about 11:00 AM, but the exact time will be determined on Pie Festival day.
- There is a minimum of three judges per category.
- Pies are judged on: Overall Appearance, Crust, and Taste.
- Each judge assigns a numerical value from 1 to 10 in each criteria category, without consultation with each other.
- The pie receiving highest total numerical value is the winner in that category. In case of tie, judges will judge those pies again.
- Each First Prize winning pie will be judged again, and judges will decide which pie from these is the Grand Prize Pie.
- In the category of the Grand Prize winning pie, the Second Place will become the First, Third Place becomes Second Place, and Fourth Place becomes Third Place.
- Awards & Disposition of Pies
- Awards will be given after all judging is complete.
- Winning pies may be auctioned as a fund raiser for Pie Town.
- All other pies entered will be sold at contest site or in concession stand.