2018 Pie Baking Contest Results
Grand Champion: Glenna Cox with maple pecan pie
1st Place: Whiteny Dunn, cherry berry almond
2nd Place: Brooke Dunn, butter apple pecan
3rd Place: Dori Ko, fig pie
1st Place: Cynthia Welton, peach blueberry
2nd Place: Karen Bingham, sunflower pear raspberry
3rd Place: Susan Little, double apple pie
1st Place: Robin Lamance, chocolate pecan bourbon
2nd Place: Glenna Cox, pecan
3rd Place: Michele Bingham, cinnamon walnut swirl apple
1st Place: Karla Noble, chocolate chip pie
2nd Place: Glenna Cox, sunny apple pecan
3rd Place: John Erz, lemon chess pie
2018 Pie Baking Contest Rules
INGREDIENT RULING: We cannot accept ANY pie FILLING with any dairy to include: butter, cream, milk, milk substitutes. NO EGGS OR MEAT. (Eggs will be allowed in Pecan Pies and Chess Pies only.) No sweet potatoes, pumpkin, soy, coconut milk, meringue, almond milk, or chili peppers. These pies would require refrigeration to observe Health Code Laws.
PLEASE NOTE: DAIRY (EGGS, butter, etc.) is allowed in the CRUST by the Health Code Laws due to how the dairy changes when baked into the crust.
- Pie must be entered in the name of the person who made it.
- Youth (Baker must be 17 years of age or under)
- Grand Prize is $100 plus Grand Prize Ribbon (and Bragging Rights).
Prizes for each category are:
- First Place is $25 plus First Place Ribbon
- Second Place is Second Place Ribbon
- Third Place is Third Place Ribbon
- TO ENTER:
Bring your pie to the contest site at the Pie Town Fire Station
NO EARLIER than 9 AM and NO LATER than 10:30 AM on: PIE FESTIVAL DAY, Saturday, September 8, 2018
The Pie Baking Contest Coordinator has the final say on the acceptability of any pie.
- WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Please park first and then come over to enter your pie. The Pi-K run is being held in the morning and safety for the runners must be observed. Please be aware some roads will be used for the Pi-K run and plan accordingly. Please obey all instructions from the Pie Festival staff.
- ALL entries must fill out a registration form at the Fire Station.
- By entering your pie, you are acknowledging the entered pies become the property of the Pie Festival and that you WILL NOT get your pie or pie pan back. (However, if you stop by the Fire Station later in the day, pie pans may be available. And pies will be made for sale as part of the non-profit’s fundraiser).
- You also agree to give permission to have your photo and your pie’s photo taken during the announcement ceremony.
NOTE: A copy of your pie recipe (if it was your own creation) would be appreciated. You would be giving us the right to publish your recipe (if it is selected) for publication in future editions of the Pie Town, Pie Cookbook. You would receive name recognition for your contribution.
All entrants receive a “PIE BAKER” ribbon to wear proudly during the Pie Festival.
- Judges must be at least 18 years of age or older.
- Judging will start about 11:00 AM, but the exact time will be determined on Pie Festival day.
- There is a minimum of three judges per category.
- Pies are judged on:
- Overall Appearance
- Each judge assigns a numerical value from 1 to 10 in each criteria category, without consultation with each other.
- The pie receiving highest total numerical value is the winner in that category. In case of tie, judges will judge those pies again.
- Each First Prize winning pie will be judged again, and judges will decide which pie from these is the Grand Prize Pie.
- In the category of the Grand Prize winning pie, the Second Place will become the First, Third Place becomes Second Place, and Fourth Place becomes Third Place.
AWARDS & DISPOSITION OF PIES
- Awards will be given after all judging is complete.
- Winning pies will be auctioned as a fundraiser for Pie Town.
- All other pies entered will be sold at contest site or in concession stand (Pie Bakers will be allowed the opportunity to buy back their pies and plates–please do note this is a non-profit fundraiser, and we appreciate your generosity).
- Pie pans will not be returned–however, if a pie baker would like to stop by the Fire Station later in the day, pie pans may be available.